[ Wiki | Release Lists | Patches | J-DB ]
PocketHeaven Sponsors:
[ Jandaman | DealExtreme ]

Pocket Heaven
Pocket Emulation Discussion Boards

SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  RSS FeedRSS Feed  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My little tweaked build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyleroberson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: My little tweaked build Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I've made a little tweaked build of nesDS with the following changes:

1. Pressing Start+Select returns to the rom selection screen.

2. The L/R keys have been disabled by default. You can re-enable them using the touch screen menu. (I always accidentally nudge these.)

3. The rom loader defaults to 'ROMS' instead of the root directory.

4. A few additional hot keys have been added:
Load State - Select+Up
Save State - Select+Down
Save SRAM - Select+Left
Reset NES - Select+Right

You can grab a copy here:
http://kyleroberson.googlepages.com/nesDS.zip

The changes to the source are included in an accompanied text file.

If you want any variations on the above let me know and I'll compile another build for you when I have time.
hylatio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice job! I really like the improvements you have made to it. The only thing I would want now is PCM sound channel support (SMB3 and some others don't sound so nice without it). Is this possible?
Hypershell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like the current build, L and R enabled from the start and all that jazz. My only gripe is that screen calibration frequently jumps as you remove the stylus from the screen. Older version used to have you hold a button while positioning the screen, so you could release the button when you have the screen where you want it. With the current version I have to retry several times, it's a bit annoying.

Not everybody would want to default to a folder named "ROMS" either, as my card contains no such folder. I keep my classic games organized by system, not lumped into one large folder.
kyleroberson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to insinuate that anything I did is correct, or even better for that matter. Here's my though process:

I don't want to whip out the stylus to load a new rom. It's tedious. Same with save/load state.

I don't often use the fast-forward feature. When I do it's usually accidental and results in my death.

You're right. I keep my roms sloppily lumped into a folder called Roms. Every time I launch the emulator I have to manually select the Roms folder. I thought this would be fairly easy to correct and it was. I understand that my Roms folder may be your NES folder etc.

I'll see about moving this to an INI but it may be a challenge given my limited skill set.
Bibin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put all roms in the /SNES/ directory, as every emulator I use only shows files from the correct system.

Why SNES? Well, snemulDS requires it.
kyleroberson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed a bug with my code that was annoying me and decided to just go all out. The rom directory is now configurable courtesy of a small windows patcher I tossed together:

1. Extract nesDS.exe, nesDS.nds, and nesDSns.nds.
2. Run nesDS.exe and enter a default rom directory.

This will patch the default rom directory for both of the nds files. nesDS.nds has the should buttons enabled by default and nesDSns.nds does not.

http://kyleroberson.googlepages.com/nesDS.zip

Let me know if you experience any issues.

Btw, SNEmulDS is probably the only emulator I am aware of where the default rom directory can be configured. Just open the ini that ships with it and change it.
Hypershell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I came off too negative before. It's a nifty thought, at least, and I certainly applaud the effort. Configurable default directory, nice touch. I'm just too lazy to update my card. Wink
kyleroberson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't take it critically.

I can understand that if your rom directory was called "Nintendo" that you would have no use for a "Roms" directory. That's why I sought out a solution. I would have preferred to use an external .ini but my skillset is basically limited to mucking around with the current state of the code.

Feel free to give if a shot if you DS ever comes close to your PC. Wink
SpecterTerrasbane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

I know that there hasn't been much activity in this thread the last few months, but I simply have to resurrect this thread, and say "thank you, kyleroberson, for saving my sanity" !

I've been having the typical touchscreen problem where trying to click 'save state' ends up clicking 'load state' instead, at least half of the time. It's been driving me absolutely crazy, losing my progress so often. (Just in case anyone is wondering, I'm using an M3 DS Simply on a DS Lite, and latest version [7/31/2007] of nesDS ... )

I just found this forum today, and after trying your custom build, I will certainly be using it from now on. The hot keys for save states are exactly what I've always wanted in nesDS. Thank you again!
h8uthemost

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have to say thank you. I had no idea your build existed until dan mentioned it in another thread(where someone else was complaining of the touchscreen of NesDS).

So since the touchscreen calibration of NesDS is simply terrible, which makes managing savestates a HUGE pain in the ass, I can't not thank you enough for it.

And I have all my classic games in a folder called Roms. So your first build is probably all I need, and won't have to mess with the computer app you created. Also having L&R disabled by default is a nice touch since I hate reverse and forward.

Thanks again for this.
kyleroberson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal. I haven't touched this in a while but I'm glad you like it.
h8uthemost

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I just got around to actually trying it out, and what you have done is really a great thing. All that I used the touch screen for was saving, but it was such a pain. So it's nice to just hit Select+Up/Down to save or load.

One thing I have to mention though, Select+Right isn't working for me. I don't know about Select+Left because I never save using SRAM. But Select+Right is to reset the emulator(I'm guessing to pick another game), and that doesn't work.

But at least the saving does, and that was the biggest thing. Thank you again for this.
kyleroberson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit Start+Select to get back to the rom selection menu.

Select+Right originally reset the NES. I nudged this accidentally a couple of times and removed it.
h8uthemost

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...I'll give Start+Select a try. Thank you for that.
Opus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stopping in here to also say thanks to kyleroberson!

I really like the little tweak you provided us with. Smile

But real quick, is there any possibility in making the display easier to modify? My touch screen is very jumpy as well.

Would it be possible to save a person's display settings or find a better method of changing the screen resolution using a combination of the Dpad along with perhaps the shoulder buttons?

I don't care for the aspect ratio screen crunch default setting, so there are times when I'm really fighting the touch screen to get the correct resolution every time I fire NesDS up.

Thanks ahead if you respond to this post.

Cheers. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket Heaven Forum Index -> NES DS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: